We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

CSP PTC plant efficiency

• RistyL
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2019 11:08 #7332 by RistyL
CSP PTC plant efficiency was created by RistyL
Hello,

I am just getting started with SAM, so my question may be a bit stupid, for which I am apologizing. Nevertheless I would like to ask you how to get the overall efficiency of a CSP parabolic trough power plant. I would expect values somewhere between 20-30% and I cannot find this within the evaluation of simulation results. The capacity factor is not efficiency, is it? Thank you for your advice.

Lukas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
30 May 2019 16:40 #7341 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic CSP PTC plant efficiency
Hi Lukas,

SAM does not report an overall system efficiency. The capacity factor is one measure of the system's efficiency, which SAM calculates as
Capacity Factor = Net Annual Energy (kWhac/yr) / System Capacity (kWdc or kWac) / 8760 (h/yr)

You could use the data on the Statistics tab of the Results page to calculate the efficiency of different parts of the plant. For example, to calculate the overall incident irradiance to net electrical output, you could divide the sum of "System power generated" by "Field thermal power incident after cosine".

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman