We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Hourly control- Fossil backup

• kika
  • Topic Author
More
27 Aug 2012 12:11 #804 by kika
Hourly control- Fossil backup was created by kika
Hello,

I am simulating the CSP plant performance using the empirical model of SAM ( latest version). I would like to modelize the plant using fossil backup with defined power in each hour (8760 input data ) . is that possible?
Also, I would like to know how can I define the thermal storage control to prioritize the fossil backup , with and without sun, and with and without TES?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
27 Aug 2012 17:58 #805 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Hourly control- Fossil backup
Hello,

It is not possible to simulate a parabolic trough system using fossil backup power as an input. SAM uses the inputs you provide under Thermal Storage Dispatch Control on the Thermal Storage page to determine when the system requires energy from fossil backup to supply supplementary heat to the field HTF.

SAM uses energy from the fossil backup system when there is insufficient energy from the solar field or TES to maintain the field design temperature. I don't think there is a way to trick the model into prioritizing fossil backup.

What application are you trying to model using this approach?

Best regards,
Paul.

• kika
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2012 11:37 #806 by kika
Replied by kika on topic Hourly control- Fossil backup
Thanks Paul for your quick response.
I would like to model a hybrid plant. A biomass plant that generates as a given profile (8760 data). CSP should complement to the maximum load. If the biomass plant produces the maximum CSP should store energy in TES.

• pgilman
More
04 Sep 2012 17:04 #807 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Hourly control- Fossil backup
SAM does not model hybrid power systems. You can model a biomass power plant or a CSP power plant, but not a combination of the two.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman