We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Google Sunroof shading data

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2019 01:31 #6791 by pgilman
Google Sunroof shading data was created by pgilman
Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible and/or planned to be able to get shading data from Google's Project Sunroof. Sighten somehow obtains shading information per-house (not just by area) from Sunroof. This one feature is basically the only thing that keeps us using Sighten vs. SAM Detailed.

Regards, Jake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2019 01:31 #6792 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Google Sunroof shading data
Hi Jake,

To use SAM's 3D Shade Calculator, you have to draw the scene by hand using the calculator's drawing tools. For the moment there is no way to import shading data from different applications. The calculator does include an implementation of SAM's LK scripting language, so, if you are comfortable with scripting or computer programming, you could write your own script to convert the Project Sunroof data to a 3D scene for SAM's shade calculator.

Does Google Project Sunroof generate a file of shading data that SAM could import. I am not familiar with it, but didn't see such a file in my quick visit to the Sunroof website.

Thanks,
Paul.

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2019 01:31 #6793 by pgilman
Hi Paul, thanks for your reply.

That's been my trouble is that the only thing I see available from Sunroof is per zip code or per county information; I don't know how Sighten is supposedly getting per-roof shading data.

Separate question, have there been any efforts to create a DXF importer for AutoCAD users? I do program, I might try to submit a pull request through GitHub or just make an LK script.

Best, Jake

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2019 01:32 #6794 by pgilman
Hi Jake,

That would be great if you want to develop a DXF importer. Let me know if you do, and I'd be happy to help you get set up working in the 3D Shade Calculator script editor, or with the SAM open source repository on GitHub.

Regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman