We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Modeling PV Rate Schedules

• jjevahirian
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2019 16:25 #6782 by jjevahirian
Modeling PV Rate Schedules was created by jjevahirian
Hello,

I work in a market where we have had some recent changes to our metering/distribution laws and it does not seem SAM can support the new "distributed generation" inflow/outflow model within its billing and metering section.

1. If I choose "Net Billing w carryover to next month", why does the excess generation value only apply to the next month and so on? I need it to apply the excess generation values from each time step first and foremost to the month in which they were generated and then have them roll over to the next month. Is is possible to model this?

2. If I choose "net billing w carryover to next month" the excess generation credit is applied to the total bill the next month, however our new regulation in Michigan says that excess generation credits (defined by the "sell rate" in SAM) can only be used to offset the generation value of further purchased electricity, not the distribution fees (In SAM there is only an aggregate purchase rate). Is there a way to model this? I am imagining a situation where credits rolled over from the previous month are applied to the aggregate bill and not only the distribution charges for electricity purchased which will result in a skewed analysis; when in reality they should only be applied to the generation value of further purchased electricity then rolled to the next month.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
08 May 2019 20:58 #6783 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Modeling PV Rate Schedules
Hello,

Can you point me to a description of the metering laws you are trying to model? I'm not sure I understand how credits for excess generation are supposed to be handled from your description in Item 1.

As for Item 2, it is not possible in SAM to use credits toward only a portion of the electricity bill. Are the distribution fees in your case a fixed monthly charge, or are the a portion of the energy charge?

We are maintaining a list of requested enhancements for SAM's electricity bill calculations on the SAM GitHub page . Once I understand the Michigan model better, I will add these enhancements to the list.

Best regards,
Paul.

• jjevahirian
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2019 13:53 #6841 by jjevahirian
Replied by jjevahirian on topic Modeling PV Rate Schedules
Hi Paul,

To give you a little better of an idea of what I am working with see attached Rider 18 (Pages 3-10). Hopefully this helps clarify my questions about rate schedule modeling. 

Thanks!

• pgilman
More
30 May 2019 16:49 #7343 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Modeling PV Rate Schedules
Great! Thank you for attaching the file.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman