We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Strings in 3D shading tool

• mario2009p
  • Topic Author
More
24 Apr 2019 08:29 #6760 by mario2009p
Strings in 3D shading tool was created by mario2009p
Dear sir or madam,
I'm working with SAM for my bachelor thesis and I have a doubt regarding strings in the shading tool. In my array, I have 18 strings (according to the combination of panels/inverter chosen). However, after designing my system in the 3D tool, I am only allowed to assign the strings from 1 to 8. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? It should affect the % shading loss, so it is a big issue.
I would also like to ask, which tool is better for my case: My thesis consists of analyzing the effect of installed PV on energy consumption, and the available space includes both buildings and a terrain. I'm wworking with the 3D tool, which is sometimes quite slow when obtaining the time series and even crashes. Should I keep going with it?

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Mario Prinetti.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
25 Apr 2019 22:04 #6761 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Strings in 3D shading tool
Dear Mario,

The limit of 8 strings applies if you use the partial shading model. If your array has more than 8 strings, I would recommend assigning a String number of 1 to all of your active surfaces. That will model the effect of shading by reducing the incident irradiance without making adjustments for partial shading of the array.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman