We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

s_CO2 power cycle part load performance

• xpeng37@wisc.edu
  • Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2019 15:15 #6743 by xpeng37@wisc.edu
s_CO2 power cycle part load performance was created by xpeng37@wisc.edu
Dear SAM developers,

I am trying to understand better the s_CO2 off-design performance model in SAM 2018.11.11. The specific questions are:

1. Is the off-design performance calculated based on the design point we specify?
If so, to specify a design point, the input parameters are : design point inlet and outlet HTF temperature, power cycle gross output, cycle thermal efficiency, ambient temperature, approach temperatures, compressor and turbine isentropic efficiencies. Is that correct?

2. What are the off-design parameters considered in the calculation of off-design power cycle performance (e.g. ambient temperature, mass flow rate turn down, turbine inlet temperature)?

3. What is the detailed off-design model? Is there a relation like cycle efficiency fraction=f(mass flow rate fraction)?
If the model is too complicated to show here, pointing me to a reference or open source code would be very helpful.

4. When I click the button "calculate design point and off-design performance", SAM optimizes the cycle efficiency for different scenarios. Could you explain a little more about what are the variables and objective in this optimization problem?

Thanks for the help!
Xinyue Peng

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
11 Apr 2019 15:27 #6744 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic s_CO2 power cycle part load performance
Dear Xinyue Peng,

As you know, the supercritical carbon dioxide (sCO2) power cycle model is available with SAM's Molten Salt Power Tower model.

Your questions 1 through 4 should be addressed in the documentation listed under "CSP Power Cycle Models" at sam.nrel.gov/performance.

I'll see if I can find some documentation of the optimization method to share with you.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman