Error downloading weather data

• bpm77
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jan 2019 11:03 #6583 by bpm77
Error downloading weather data was created by bpm77
Hello,

I installed SAM latest updated version and I'm not able to download any weather files, could you please help? The log files are attached.

Thank you,

Bruno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
04 Jan 2019 19:12 #6584 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Error downloading weather data
Dear Bruno,

Some changes were recently made to the National Solar Radiation Database (NSRDB) application programming interface (API) that mean we need to update the code SAM uses to download NSRDB data. We will do that in the next update, which we plan to release later this month (January 2019).

For now, you can work around the issue as follows:
  1. On SAM's Location and Resource page, click Legacy data (advanced).
  2. Click Download and add to library.
  3. For Find location, type a location name, street address, or latitude/longitude pair.
  4. Click Find. A list of all available files for the location will appear.
  5. In the list of files, scroll to the section with "psmv3" in the file names, and select the "tmy" file. You can also select any other files you want to download. (Type "psm" in the filter box to jump to that section automatically.)
  6. Optional Step: By default SAM will download the file to your "SAM Downloaded Weather Files" folder. You can change the folder by clicking the elipses (...) button next to Choose download folder.
  7. Optional Step: If you are downloading more than one file, you can select one of the files to be the current file in your library after the download finishes.
  8. Click OK.
  9. When the download finishes, a Notice window with a zero will appear. Click OK to close the window.

Best regards,
Paul.

• berling
More
03 Sep 2020 15:41 #8666 by berling
Replied by berling on topic Error downloading weather data
I am having errors down loading weather in both 2018 and 2020 SAM, I see the same error messages in each version. Each time I try and post the full error I am getting a ERROR 404. 

• pgilman
More
04 Sep 2020 18:36 #8669 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Error downloading weather data
Hello,

Recent updates to NREL servers caused weather file downloads to stop working. The issues have been resolved, so downloads should be working now (September 4, 2020).

The workaround solution described above is not necessary as of SAM 2020.2.29.

Best regards,
Paul.

• berling
More
04 Sep 2020 18:51 #8670 by berling
Replied by berling on topic Error downloading weather data
Thank you for the response. It is working today! 

Geoffrey

Moderators: pgilman