We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

SAM SDK Setup

• UGuntupalli
  • Topic Author
More
17 Dec 2018 04:06 #6559 by UGuntupalli
SAM SDK Setup was created by UGuntupalli
All,
I have been trying to setup Python for building my own needs around the SAM ssc and sdk. I am following instructions that are provided here (github.com/NREL/SAM/wiki/Windows-Build-Instructions). I have been able to complete steps (1) through (5) and am running into issues on step (6). Additionally, one deviation I have from the instructions detailed here is the wxWidgets available is 3.1.3 and not 3.1.1 . Please provide guidance on how I can proceed .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
18 Dec 2018 18:04 #6560 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic SAM SDK Setup
Hello,

You do not need to build SAM from the open source repository to access the SSC API from Python. Instead, you can use SAM's code generator to generate Python code and supporting files directly from SAM. Then, you can modify the Python code for your application. Please see the description on the SDK page for details:

sam.nrel.gov/sdk

Best regards,
Paul.

• pgilman
More
02 Jan 2019 18:38 #6561 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic SAM SDK Setup
For the method I am suggesting, you would create a case in SAM to generate the Python code at first, and then you would modify the Python code to make changes to the system design and run simulations in Python. So, you would just need to set things up in SAM once.

For example, you could set up a model in SAM for a 10 MW PV system using the Detailed Photovoltaic model and PPA Single Owner financial model, and then use the code generator to create Python code to set up that system and run some tests to make sure things are working correctly. Then you could modify your Python code to change the value of some inputs to change the size of the array, or use different module parameters, costs, etc.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman