We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Annual outputs with different inverters

• YK
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2018 14:26 #6517 by YK
I try to predict the annual output of a simple system PV + inverter.
The PV is the Canadian Solar CS6K-260P.
When I check it with the SE 7600A-us(240V) 240V [cec 2013] the annual output was 13,795kWh
And when I check it with the SE 7600A-us(240V) 240V [cec 2016] the annual output was 7,951kWh
(Nothing but the inverter was changed)
Does the output difference seem normal?

Thanks
Yoav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
26 Nov 2018 18:35 #6518 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Annual outputs with different inverters
Dear Yoav,

Thank you for the message.

I was not able to replicate those results. Could you attach the .sam file that generated those results to your original post above, or [url=mailto:sam.support@nrel.gov?subject=Forum@20Question t=_self]email it to me[/url]?

Best regards,
Paul.

• pgilman
More
29 Nov 2018 18:12 #6519 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Annual outputs with different inverters
Dear Yoav,

Thank you for uploading the file.

The reason you get different results using the different versions of that inverter is that the 2013 version does not have data for the maximum and minimum rated MPPT voltage, while the 2016 version does.

That means that SAM cannot estimate losses due to voltage clipping when the array operating falls outside of the MPPT voltage window (100 - 480 VDC for the 2016 version).

When you choose the 2016 version, you should see a message about the string voltage exceeding the maximum rated voltage on the System Design page. You can also see the effect of clipping in the results by going to the Losses tab on the Results page.

To avoid the clipping loss using that combination of module and inverter, you might try using two strings of 16 modules instead of one string of 32 modules. That reduces the array operating voltage and minimizes clipping losses. (The nominal array Voc is still higher than the nominal inverter maximum voltage, but the operating voltage only rarely exceeds the maximum -- you can see that by plotting "Subarray 1 Operating Voltage," "Subarray 1 Open circuit voltage," and "Inverter DC input voltage" on the Time Series tab of the Results page.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman