We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Cooling tower water use results

• FrankNam
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2018 10:25 #6410 by FrankNam
Cooling tower water use results was created by FrankNam
Good day SAM team

I am trying to wrap my head around the results relating to water use in SAM. The only result that can be viewed is "Hourly Data: Cycle cooling water mass flow rate - makeup". Please clarify whether this parameter is only the flow rate through the cooling tower, or in fact the WATER USE of the plant, I.E. cooling tower water use, as stated on page 71 in the technical document available at: www.nrel.gov/docs/fy11osti/51825.pdf. Since the cooling water circulation rate through the tower is not explicitly the water use, or consumption rate, it rather distorts any possible reporting on plant consumption. If I am committing any general ignorance, please feel free to correct me.

Many thanks for your time and continued hard work!
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
20 Aug 2018 20:17 #6411 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Cooling tower water use results
Dear Frank,

Yes, the "Cycle cooling water mass flow rate - makeup" variable is equivalent to the water mass flow rate shown in Equation 3.25 of the Physical Trough Reference Manual. The equation is online 1402 of the source code:

github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/develop/shared/lib_powerblock.cpp

Best regards,
Paul.

• naresh1537
More
19 Jul 2020 05:47 #8448 by naresh1537
Replied by naresh1537 on topic Cooling tower water use results
As per the Cooling Water System Equipement, it is Flowrate through the Cooling Tower but not that water use in the Plant

Moderators: pgilman