We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Creating typical year file from long-term data for wind power performance analysis

• seyong.kim
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2018 08:31 #6280 by seyong.kim
Hello,
I am trying to create my own weather file in South Korea for input to SAM wind power performance modelling.
This link (sam.nrel.gov/weather) gives me an idea about typical year file but not enough detail to implement it for the wind case.
If I have long-term wind regime at project site in South Korea, say 20 years worth data, derived from MCP (measure-correlate-predict) method, which methods are available for me to determine typical values and derive a set of one year data?

Thanks,
Seyong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
18 Jun 2018 20:38 #6281 by pgilman
Dear Seyong,

Thank you for the message. "Typical year" files are usually associated with solar resource files. For wind resource data, analysts often use probability of exceedance (P50/P90) results by running simulations for all of the years of data rather than creating a typical-year file. If you have a set of 20 wind resource files in the SRW format, you could use SAM's P50/P90 capability to generate P50, P90, and other results.

For more about P50/P90 simulations in SAM, please see the video listed under "How-to Videos" on the SAM website:

sam.nrel.gov/webinars

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman