We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Converting Wind Toolkit Data to SRW

• gerritdm
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jan 2018 02:57 #6000 by gerritdm
Converting Wind Toolkit Data to SRW was created by gerritdm
Hi,

I am trying to write a python script for wind, with a workflow similar to the solar example shown here:
nsrdb.nrel.gov/api-instructions

The workflow would be:
1. Download resource data for a desired lat/lon, using the NREL API
2. Simulate power output for a desired turbine type using the SCCAPI module

However, I am having trouble with the wind data formats. The Techno-Economic WIND Toolkit API returns the data in a format that is not compatible with the SRW format. Since all the API returns is 100m wind speed, 100m wind direction, 2m air temperature, surface air pressure, and air density at hub height (100m?), it seems like I am missing data for the SRW format (temperature and pressure at 100m).
Does this mean I need to use the Gridded Atmospheric WIND Toolkit (using HSDS) instead or are there standard assumptions for converting to different heights?

Are there example scripts or packages on how to convert this data (gridded or techno-economic WIND Toolkit) into SRW data? It seems like the SAM desktop version does this automatically when you use the "Download a wind resource file from the online NREL WIND Toolkit" functionality.

Also, are there any SSCAPI example scripts for the wind module (similar to the solar example above)?

Thank you for your time!
Gerrit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ozsolarwind
More
04 Jan 2018 08:14 #6001 by ozsolarwind
Replied by ozsolarwind on topic Converting Wind Toolkit Data to SRW
Gerrit

I've used Python with the SSCAPI and can assist offline.

Kind regards

Angus

• pgilman
More
04 Jan 2018 19:22 #6002 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Converting Wind Toolkit Data to SRW
Dear Gerrit,
I uploaded a new sample LK script that shows how to use the WIND Toolkit API to download SRW files in the way the download button on SAM's Wind Resource input page does. It should be straightforward to convert that into Python or another language.
You can find it here under "LK Script Cookbook":
sam.nrel.gov/samples
Best regards,

Paul.

Moderators: pgilman