We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

tracking error

• feantot
  • Topic Author
More
22 Aug 2017 06:41 #5658 by feantot
tracking error was created by feantot
Hi Paul,

I am trying to get the impact of a tracking error over the yield in one axis N-S oriented PV trackers. I see it is defined as tracking error (%) in the losses window, but I do not understand how this percentage is defined. For instance, given a 4º error (if tilt angle should be 40º, but it is 44º), how would you introduce it?

Thank you in advance,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
22 Aug 2017 16:49 #5659 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic tracking error
Hello,

The "Tracking error (%)" loss is an input intended to account for inaccuracies in the tracking mechanism for a system with one- or two-axis tracking. It represents the effect of these inaccuracies as a percentage reduction on the system's DC electrical output.

How you determine the value will depend on the design of the tracker. In the example you give, the tracking error loss value would depend on whether you expect the 4º error to be a constant or maximum value.

I don't have specific suggestions for how to do that. You might run some experimental simulations to see how a difference in tilt angle affects the DC output of the system. For example, you could model a fixed array with a four degree difference in tilt angle to see how the DC output of the array is affected.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman