We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Piping heat losses

• fernando piris
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2017 22:38 #5626 by fernando piris
Piping heat losses was created by fernando piris
I have a question about CSP Parabolic through (empirical) model. Why does the model use a value of 10 W/m^2 for the Piping Heat Loss at Design Temp for default? I also want to know if the Piping Heat Loss Coefficients (1-3) values are universal for any plant configuration and if not, what they depend on?
Specifically I want to model a plant with Molten Salt as HTF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
14 Aug 2017 17:25 #5627 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Piping heat losses
Dear Fernando,

SAM's Empirical Trough model was originally developed as a spreadsheet model, and its results were compared to measured performance data for the SEGS VI system. Please see the Empirical Trough model paper referenced on the SAM website's performance model documentation page for more details:

sam.nrel.gov/performance

In general, SAM's Physical Trough model is better for systems that have different configurations. The Empirical Trough model works best for systems that have configurations similar to the SEGS systems. Please see the descriptions of the Physical Trough model and Empirical Trough models in SAM's help system for a discussion for more about the two models.

Best regards,
Paul.

• fernando piris
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2017 21:32 #5628 by fernando piris
Replied by fernando piris on topic Piping heat losses
Thank you Paul,
Fernando

Moderators: pgilman