We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Battery bank System cost - Not showing battery kWh capacity

• Macgyver
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2017 07:21 #5576 by Macgyver
Hi,

I was hoping someone could assist me with a issue I cannot solve. I am modeling a commercial PV+battery PPA system.

Under storage I have the "Battery Enable" on, and completed relevant battery details.

Under System cost (Direct Capital Costs), I have entered a value for "$/kWh DC", but the system value for "kWh DC" is "0.0" and therefore the cost of the battery bank is given as $0.0

Any suggestions why it is not showing the "kWh DC" value for the battery?

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
21 Jul 2017 18:38 #5577 by pgilman
Hello,

Please check that you are using the latest version of SAM (SAM 2017.1.17 Revision 4). To do that, in SAM press the F1 key to open Help, and then click About to see the version information.

If you are using the latest version, please attach a copy of your .sam file to your original post above by clicking the Edit button and I will investigate.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Macgyver
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2017 06:04 #5578 by Macgyver
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response, I am using the latest version (SAM 2017.1.17 Revision 4).

I have updated my original post with the .sam file.

Thanks.

• pgilman
More
24 Jul 2017 17:21 #5579 by pgilman
Hello,

Thank you for attaching the file.

For the partnership flip financial models, when you enable the battery on the Battery Storage page, SAM incorrectly displays a zero for the battery bank capacity on the System Costs page. That is a bug that we will fix in the next release.

In the meantime, you can work around the issue by replacing the PV Capital Costs.ui file:
  1. If SAM is running, close it.
  2. In the SAM installation folder (C:/SAM/2017.1.14 by default in Windows), find the runtime/ui folder, and rename the PV Capital Costs.ui file to PV Capital Costs_old.ui.
  3. Download this replacement PV Capital Costs.ui file , and put it in the runtime/ui folder.
  4. Start SAM, and open your .sam file
  5. On the Battery Storage input page, change the battery sizing mode from Specify desired bank size to Specify cells, and then back again. (You need to do this step to force SAM to recalculate the value of the battery capacity variable using the new equation in the .ui file you just replaced).
  6. On the System Costs page, check that the battery bank capacity is correct.

If you are using a Mac computer, see this post for an explanation of how to find the installation folder.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Macgyver
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2017 09:56 #5580 by Macgyver
Hi Paul,

Thank your for the fix and instructions, the model is now working correctly.

Bertus

Moderators: pgilman