We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Help with Battery Specs

• jmarrec
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2017 15:50 #5548 by jmarrec
Help with Battery Specs was created by jmarrec
Hi,

I'm wondering if people have already been modeling the newer Tesla Powerwall 2. (www.tesla.com/powerwall, datasheet/specs can be googled easily)

Indeed, the inputs required for specifying the battery storage system in SAM are quite extensive and a bit scary.

I've tried to do it myself, but I have serious doubt on the Battery lifetime section.

Can someone help me proof my input or share their version?

I'm joining my file as well as a spreadsheet where I've put the specs and how I got my input.

Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
14 Jul 2017 23:40 #5549 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Help with Battery Specs
Hello,

You may want to look at the supporting materials for the webinar "Modeling a PV-battery system in SAM 2016.3.14," where we demonstrated modeling a Powerwall battery. You can find a link to a recording and materials for that webinar on the Webinars page:

sam.nrel.gov/webinars

(We also just did a webinar describing the battery model features in SAM 2017.1.17.)

Let me know if you still have questions after reviewing those materials.

Best regards,
Paul.

• jmarrec
  • Topic Author
More
10 Aug 2017 10:05 #5550 by jmarrec
Replied by jmarrec on topic Help with Battery Specs
Paul,

that's exactly the materials I used as a starting point (I thought I explicitly said that but I realize I haven't), except the powerwall is now at version 2.0.
Using the materials from the webinar and the new specs (see spreadsheet too), I came up with the SAM File I attached, but I've got big doubts about it, especially the lifetime section.

Could you take a quick glance maybe if that's not too much trouble?

Thanks,
Julien

• ndiorio
11 Aug 2017 15:25 #5551 by ndiorio
Replied by ndiorio on topic Help with Battery Specs
Hi Julien,

I've reviewed your file and inputs, and I'd say they look very good. As you've noted, the lifetime cycling information is quite difficult to estimate directly, primarily since manufacturers often don't directly provide this information. Your approach seems valid to me, particularly since the battery is intended to last for 10 years or so. One additional note, it looks like you've properly accounted for the price of the battery being applied to the advertised capacity ($/kWh for 13.2 kWh) as opposed to the modeled capacity (16.5 kWh).

We're working to make the model a little easier to use, though performing detailed modeling of this nature is tricky. Please let us know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Nick

• jmarrec
  • Topic Author
More
28 Aug 2017 14:56 #5552 by jmarrec
Replied by jmarrec on topic Help with Battery Specs
Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking a look at it, I appreciate it!

I'm sorry about responding so late, it seems I haven't found a way to receive an email when a topic of mine is updated.

I guess until manafacturer do give us some info about lifetime cycling, anything is a shot in dark, so it doesn't really mater how I do it... Hopefully my "scaling" isn't too wrong.

Best,
Julien

• pgilman
More
31 Aug 2017 17:10 #5553 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Help with Battery Specs
Dear Julien,

You should be able to change your account notification settings by clicking Account in the menu at the top of this page, and then going to the Notifications tab.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman