We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Potential Problem with Resource Azimuth

• tcoyne2
  • Topic Author
More
12 Apr 2017 16:14 #5351 by tcoyne2
While running a CSP model (steam or molten salt, doesn't seem to matter which), I noticed that some sites have what seems to me to be an odd artifact with respect to the solar azimuth. I am using the built in locations on the SAM program. For example, if you use India (Trivandrum) and plot the time series, the resource solar azimuth really spikes in March - it almost looks like the data is inverted. I am not seeing this with every location, but I randomly clicked around and noticed the same artifact with Sri Lanka (Kankesanturai) and UAE (Abu Dhabi) - there probably are a few more. I attached a picture to illustrate. Any idea what I might be seeing here? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
12 Apr 2017 17:54 #5352 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Potential Problem with Resource Azimuth
Hello,

This pattern seems to be present in CSP azimuth calculations for latitudes between about 7 and 13 degrees N. I'm not sure what is causing it, but am having the CSP team look into it, and will follow up when I learn more.

Best regards,
Paul.

• tcoyne2
  • Topic Author
More
12 Apr 2017 17:59 #5353 by tcoyne2
Replied by tcoyne2 on topic Potential Problem with Resource Azimuth
Great, thank you Paul - much appreciated!

• tcoyne2
  • Topic Author
More
26 Apr 2017 21:01 #5354 by tcoyne2
Replied by tcoyne2 on topic Potential Problem with Resource Azimuth
Paul, just wondering if the CSP team had made any headway onto the azimuth question. Thanks again for your help.

• pgilman
More
26 Apr 2017 21:05 #5355 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Potential Problem with Resource Azimuth
Hello,

It turns out that those odd-looking sun azimuth angle values are for night-time hours when the model does not use the values and do not affect the simulation results. You can see that in the time series graph if you zoom in to a day or two in March.

(The photovoltaic model sets the night-time sun angle values to -999 as a flag indicating the values are not valid.)

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman