We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Unable to download Electricity Rate Data from OpenEI

• tolmsted
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2017 18:45 #5324 by tolmsted
In trying to download local electricity rate data, only 11 results show up by default, and no results via zip code (any zip code).

Going directly to the OpenEI website, I'm able to find my utility (Commonwealth Edison) by zipcode (60647 in this case), though when I click on the specific rate link, the search refreshes, and I am unable to access needed rates.

Are there any recommendations as to an alternative method for downloading this data?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
07 Apr 2017 18:48 #5325 by pgilman
Hello,

It looks like there is a glitch in the database connection. We will work to fix that as soon as possible.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Best regards,
Paul.

• pgilman
More
24 Apr 2017 23:16 #5326 by pgilman
We fixed the problem with the electricity rate download in Revision 3 of SAM 2017.1.17.

I also posted an LK script that downloads electricity rate data from the OpenEI International Utility Rate Database given an OpenEI GUID and assigns values from the data to SAM's Electricity Rate input page. If you are comfortable with computer programming or scripting, you can use the script to understand how SAM downloads data from the database, or to create your own code for downloading the data. The script is on the Samples Files page:

sam.nrel.gov/samples

Best regards,
Paul.

• keithr
More
31 Aug 2017 03:59 #5327 by keithr
Hello Paul, I see that there are several users elsewhere in the SAM blogosphere having problems with the utility rate import function. What I can see is that the system is "loading utility companies.." but the list doesn't load and eventually there is an "Error: Could not retrieve JSON data for utility rate companies". I also see in the HELP section (see below) mention of not being able to Search until this list is fully loaded. Please advise. Thank you!

Search for Rates

Click to search the OpenEI database for a rate structure and import the structure into SAM. This feature requires a web connection:

1.In the OpenEI Utility Rate Database window, once the list of electric service providers appears, type either a zip code in Zip code or a few letters of the service provider's name in Filter to show providers who meet the criteria you typed.

• pgilman
More
31 Aug 2017 18:06 #5328 by pgilman
Dear Keith,

Thank you for letting us know. There is a new problem with the rate database connection that we are investigating now, and will fix as soon as we can.

Best regards,
Paul.

• keithr
More
01 Sep 2017 14:22 #5329 by keithr
Thank you Paul! Will a notice be sent or should we just keep checking the forum? Best wishes, Keith

Moderators: pgilman