We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Dish Stirling Simulation issue

• Panos Hadjipanayis
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2017 15:52 #5270 by Panos Hadjipanayis
Dish Stirling Simulation issue was created by Panos Hadjipanayis
Hello,

I am trying to simulate the Dish Stirling system on SAM using the default parameters values provided in the help file of the 4 systems(SES,WGA,SBP,SAIC)

These systems have different sizes (kW). The rated output (kW) is different.

How do i change these in same? Let's say that the systems sizes are (22, 10, 25, 9.5 kW)

Looking forward for some help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
23 Mar 2017 21:33 #5271 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Dish Stirling Simulation issue
Dear Panos,

You can specify the nameplate capacity of a single unit on the Stirling Engine page. Then, on the Solar Field page, specify the number of collectors in the field to define the system's nameplate capacity. To model a single collector, you can set the number of collectors North-South and East-West to 1.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Panos Hadjipanayis
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2017 16:59 #5272 by Panos Hadjipanayis
Replied by Panos Hadjipanayis on topic Dish Stirling Simulation issue
Hello Paul,

I am trying to create a power plant of 1 MW with dish Stirling. Each system will have a single unit nameplate capacity of 25kW. Therefore for 1 MW i will need 40 dishes let's say. Is there a chance on SAM to calculate the minimum land area will I need and the minimum distance between each dish in order to avoid the shading?

Thanks

• pgilman
More
23 May 2017 22:40 #5273 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Dish Stirling Simulation issue
Dear Panos,

SAM will not make that calculation for you, but you can use the "Collector shading efficiency" variable in the hourly results to see how much shading is happening in the field. You can adjust the collector separation inputs on the Solar Field input page to change the distance between collectors, and the slope inputs to model a field that is on sloped terrain. SAM does calculate the total solar field area on the Solar Field page, but that number is simply the collector area times the number of collectors and does not account for space between them.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman