We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Sandia Library Modules mounting configuration

• nino
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2017 00:38 #5260 by nino
Hello,

I am using SAM to perform Flat Plate PV analysis with 'Sandia PV Array Performance Model with Module Database'.
Each module from Sandia Library comes with predefined irradiance/wind speed/temperature factors: 'a' and 'b' and 'dT'.

I am wondering: is it possible to identify the mounting configuration of the Sandia module, based on its 'dT' value?
This is basically my question.

I am fully aware that I can somewhat define the mounting configuration of the module by picking it from the 'Module Structure and Mounting' drop list. But I do not want to do this. I would like to use only those 'a', 'b' and 'dT' Sandia Modules Library values which are specifically set for that module. Not manually enter them, nor use those default ones defined by 'Sandia Cell Temperature Model'.

I am also aware of the fact that 'CEC Performance Model with Module Database' does much better job in terms of setting custom mounting configuration. But I do not want to use CEC, I would like to use Sandia Model.

Please let me know, if my question was not clear enough.
Basically, I am trying to predict the mounting configuration of Sandia Library's module, based on its 'dT' value.
s6.postimg.org/n7feft8ld/delta_T.jpg

Can something like this be predicted:

dt is 2 or 3: Open rack
dt is 1: Close roof mount
dt is 0: Insulated back

?

Thank you for the reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
21 Mar 2017 02:16 #5261 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Sandia Library Modules mounting configuration
Hello,

Yes. The approach you describe makes sense, and is consistent with the description of the dT parameter in the King (2004) description of the Sandia module model.

Best regards,
Paul.

• nino
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2017 10:58 #5262 by nino
Thank you for the quick reply Paul!

I was wondering if I could ask another, just a bit different question:
In SAM application, I am looking at 'CEC Performance Model with User Entered Specifications'.
In 'SAM Photovoltaic Model Technical Reference.pdf' I've read that it is based on: Dobos A.(2012)
“An Improved Coefficient Calculator for the California Energy Commission 6 Parameter Photo-voltaic Module Model".

Is it possible that some similar coefficients calculator exists for Sandia Performance Model?

If not, then how are values from Sandia Modules Library .csv file generated?

• pgilman
More
24 Mar 2017 20:04 #5263 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Sandia Library Modules mounting configuration
Hello,

The Sandia module model differs from the CEC model in that the Sandia model uses equations with coefficients that must be determined empirically from measurements taken during module testing. Those coefficients cannot be determined mathematically without the test data.

This empirical approach is described in King (2004) "Photovoltaic Array Performance Model."

Best regards,
Paul.

• nino
  • Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2017 23:25 #5264 by nino
Thank you once again for the clear explanation Paul.
Regards, Nino.

• nino
  • Topic Author
More
26 Mar 2017 16:53 #5265 by nino
Paul, just one more question please:
I took a look at your 'Libraries' page on sam.nrel.gov website:
sam.nrel.gov/libraries

It contains Sandia Modules Library from 2015/6/30.

Does this mean that the Sandia Modules Library hasn't been updated since 2015?
If not, then are there plans to update this library?

I am currently not able to check this, but could it be that the newest SAM 2017.1.17 software comes with updated Sandia Modules Library?

Moderators: pgilman