We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Excluding the auxilary heater

• m.nabil
  • Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2017 10:19 #5225 by m.nabil
Excluding the auxilary heater was created by m.nabil
Hello!

I am trying to simulate a parabolic trough power plant without an auxiliary heater. My question is: which input parameter do I have to change in order to exclude the auxiliary heater?

I have also noticed in the "Thermal Storage" tab that for both cold and hot tanks there is a a heater set point. Is it possible to eliminate the heater from the simulation?

I am using Therminol 66 as a HTF and TES medium with a field inlet temperature of 290°C and a field outlet temperature of 390°C.

Thanks!
Nabil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
10 Mar 2017 21:36 #5226 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Excluding the auxilary heater
Dear Nabil,

I assume that by auxiliary heater, you mean "fossil backup," or supplementary heat from an auxiliary gas system. As long as the "fossil fill fraction" under "Dispatch Control" on the Thermal Storage page is zero for all periods, the model will not fossil backup.

The tank heater inputs are for freeze protection to prevent the HTF in the storage tanks from solidifying at night. SAM assumes that the tank heaters are electric. That is intended for molten salt as the storage medium. If you use an oil, the fluid temperature is not likely to reach the oil's freeze point. You can check the results to see if any power is consumed for TES freeze protection: The HTF temperatures are listed as "TES HTF temperature..." and the freeze protection power is listed as "Parasitic thermal field freeze protection."

Best regards,
Paul.

• m.nabil
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2017 10:12 #5227 by m.nabil
Replied by m.nabil on topic Excluding the auxilary heater
Your assumption is right, i meant the fossil backup.

Thank you Paul, that is very helpful.

Best regards,
Nabil

Moderators: pgilman