We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Generic storage for Wind farm

• FabienC
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jan 2017 09:57 #5105 by FabienC
Generic storage for Wind farm was created by FabienC
Hi dear developers of SAM,

I'd like to simulate the impact of a storage technology on the output (financial & power) of a wind farm. However, I haven't found if it was possible to add storage to a wind project. I found this option in PV project but here, it was specifically for inverters.

Have I missed something, or do you think it's even possible ?

Regards,

Fabien Chaufournier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ozsolarwind
More
26 Jan 2017 15:58 #5106 by ozsolarwind
Replied by ozsolarwind on topic Generic storage for Wind farm
Fabien

I've sent you a contact request to discuss this

Kind regards

Angus

• pgilman
More
26 Jan 2017 23:30 #5107 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Generic storage for Wind farm
Dear Fabien,

SAM's wind power model does not include a model for storage. For now, you can model electric battery storage with the PV models, and thermal storage with some of the CSP models.

Best regards,
Paul.

• pgilman
More
05 May 2021 15:22 #9552 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Generic storage for Wind farm
One way to model a Wind turbine or farm with battery storage is to use the Generic Battery model with a wind generation profile from the Wind model.

Here are the steps:

1. Create a Wind case and set up the inputs for the wind portion of the project. You can use the No Financial option or any other financial model because we will not use the financial model for this case.

2. Run a simulation, and on the Data Tables tab of the Results page, display the "System power generated (kW)" hourly (or subhourly) data.

3. Click Save as CSV to save the data to a CSV text file.

4. Click Add (next to the File menu) and add a Generic System - Battery case with the financial model you want to use for the project.

5. On the Power Plant page, choose Import hourly or subhourly generation profile from file.

6. Click Edit array.

7. Use a spreadsheet program or other software that can copy columns of data to the clipboard, and copy the System Power Generated data. Be sure to copy only the data, not the column header. (The data should have 8760 values, or a multiple of 8760 values. If it is subhourly data, change the time step in the Edit Array window.)

8. Set up the inputs on the battery pages for the storage system you want to model, and the remaining inputs for the financial aspects of the project.

9. Run a simulation and examine the results.

This approach will dispatch the battery in response to the wind power generation profile you imported from the Wind case. Once you have imported the generation profile from the Wind case, you can delete it.

Best regards,
Paul.

. Go back to the generic battery case

Moderators: pgilman