We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

User Defined Power Cycle

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2016 17:22 #4966 by pgilman
User Defined Power Cycle was created by pgilman
I am trying to create a user-defined power cycle for a small CSP plant. I am using the user-defined power cycle option because of the lower temperature requirement of this plant. I understand normalizing the W_cycle design and Heat_in design values; however, I'll need some clarifications on how I could appropriately select the ratios of the W_cycle low and W_cycle high for the tables. Is there like any standard (recommended) ratios that should be used? I'll be glad to know what informs of these ratios.

The High and Low values help provide enough data to cover the likely off-design solution space. A good starting point for those values is the minimum and maximum turbine fractions because they are the bounds of the power cycle operating envelope. Note that th High and Low values for the table are not required to be the same as the minimum and maximum turbine fractions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• E_Ezeanya
More
29 Nov 2016 19:03 #4967 by E_Ezeanya
Replied by E_Ezeanya on topic User Defined Power Cycle
Alright, thanks for your response; I'll take it up from there.

• E_Ezeanya
More
29 Aug 2017 23:44 #4968 by E_Ezeanya
If you could get Ty Neises to also explain more about the selection of the power ratios for the user-defined power cycle tables, that will be awesome.
Thanks.

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2017 18:14 #4969 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic User Defined Power Cycle
Please see the "Description of SAM's CSP User-defined Power Cycle Model" paper available from the Performance Model Documentation page, and let me know if you have questions after referring to that document:

sam.nrel.gov/performance

Best regards,
Paul.

• E_Ezeanya
More
07 Sep 2017 19:59 #4970 by E_Ezeanya
Alright, thanks.

Moderators: pgilman