We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

48h Solar irradiance forecasts to PV output

• kbouabbou
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2016 13:32 #4504 by kbouabbou
Hello,

I'm new to working with SAM, so i was wondering if i could work with it as a conversion tool from solar irradiance data (48h forecasted data with a resolution of 10min) to PV power forecasts, does SAM have this flexibility of loading two days of data and simulate a PV power plant performance. Also, the power plant i have to simulate has many PV technologies, is that feasible and how?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
06 Jun 2016 17:14 #4505 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic 48h Solar irradiance forecasts to PV output
Hello,

Yes, SAM can calculate photovoltaic power system output from solar resource data, and it can run sub-hourly simulations, including at a 10-minute time step.

SAM is designed to run a simulation over an entire year, so it requires one year of 10-minute solar resource data. If you only have data for a 48-hour period, you could create a weather file with dummy data for the entire year with your 48 hours worth of data in the rows for the two days that it represents.

I'm not sure what you mean by "many PV technologies." Could you describe in a little more detail what kind of system you want to model?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Giovani Dávi
More
02 Jun 2017 09:24 #4506 by Giovani Dávi
Replied by Giovani Dávi on topic 48h Solar irradiance forecasts to PV output
I guess what you mean about many PV tecnologias are the PV modules technologies (a-Si, c-Si). In this assumption you must select the PV panels in the SAM database to run your simulations.

Best regards,
Giovani

Moderators: pgilman