TES dispatch in Molten Salt CSP

• davidradu
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2016 21:37 #4103 by davidradu
TES dispatch in Molten Salt CSP was created by davidradu
I am enrolled in a group project where we are supposed to simulate the operation of a Molten Salt CSP Plant. We have been digging into the software in the last couple of weeks and we reached a moment when we need to simulate the actual operation of the plant during the day.

We have optimized the field, we have run Parametrics to determine the optimum choice in terms of storage hours and solar multiple (7 and 2.25 were the results) and now we are trying to see how the plant works during the day. Regarding the time schedule, we would like it to work from 5AM to 5PM for a PPA multiplier of 1, from 5PM till 10PM with a PPA multiplier of 1.5 and than from 9PM till 10PM again with a multiplier of 1. For the remaining hours, we would like not to operate since we're not getting any money for the electricity.

Regarding the storage and dispatch fractions, I think we went as safe as possible, no complications. But, still, if I want to look at how the plant works on the 21nd of March, when I have one of the best solar resource all year long, the plant starts operating a 7AM, at the same time it starts to gather storage. Moreover, the storage minimum level should be around 700 m3, but for certain days (a lot of them during the year) it doesn't reach that value. So it seems like there is HTF available for steam generation, but for some reason it is not dispatched.

I have read in another post that this may be a bug. Is it something we can do? Is there any chance you ca take a look at the file I have attached?

Thank you very much for your time.

All the best,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
23 Feb 2016 17:08 #4104 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic TES dispatch in Molten Salt CSP
Dear David,
I think the behavior you describe is the same mentioned in this post:
sam.nrel.gov/node/69763
The next version of SAM, which we plan to release next week, dispatches energy from TES in the way you would expect. You may want to wait for that version, and see if it works better for your project.
If you would like to test a Beta version before then, please [url=mailto:sam.support@nrel.gov?subject=Beta%20test%20for%20molten%20salt%20tower t=_self]email me[/url] and I will send you a link.
Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman