Feed in tariffs and net metering

• Gerard
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jan 2016 06:00 #4024 by Gerard
Feed in tariffs and net metering was created by Gerard

The SAM electricity rate module cannot currently reflect an independent feed in tariff on an interval basis(SAM 2015.6.30). I was having some trouble trying to get the electricity charge outputs in SAM to match the figures from my own excel model when I finally figured out what the issue is.

When net metering IS selected, the surplus production is netted out at the end of the month, not each interval. When net metering is NOT selected, all energy (and power) consumed is charged at the utility tariff as if PV does not exist, then discounted by the total PV production at the fixed sell rate.

Neither of these 2 options reflect the current rate structures in Australia where the net is calculated for the interval (30min). Net consumption is charged according to the utility tariff and net production is charged at an independent feed in tariff. This is the calc I was expecting to occur when net metering is NOT selected.

Is it possible to change this in a future version so that there is an option for net metering to be calculated on an interval basis (with interval surplus sold at an independent interval sell rate)?

This might not be common in the US at this stage but when smart meters are available (and when utilities lose more market share in future as in Aus) I'm sure this will come along.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
26 Jan 2016 16:29 #4025 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Feed in tariffs and net metering
Dear Gerard,

Stay tuned for the next version, which we hope to release in the next few weeks. It includes several new metering options and an improved interface for displaying tables of results from the utility bill calculations. Please let me know if you would be interested in trying out a Beta version to give us feedback on how well it models the Australian rate structures.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman