What are the numbers behind Utility Bill With & Without System in Data results section (PV)

• schmidly
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2016 03:48 #4017 by schmidly
Paul,

Please see the attached file. As you can see the 'utility bill with system' number is lower than the 'demand charge with system' number. How can that be? in this simulation, the PV system is sized to cancel out all the kWh's of the client and the only charges left would be the demand and fixed charges - right? What's in the 'utility bill with system' number and why isn't it equal to the 'demand charge with system' number plus the annual fixed charges? The net-metering option is set to roll over monthly excess energy with a $0 end of year value if that impacts anything.

Also, in the 'summary' results section after running a simulation, do the 'electricity cost without system' and the 'electricity cost with system' both include demand charges/savings (kW's), fixed charges (if there are any), and energy (kWh) charges/savings? I seem to be getting a little confused here...it looks like the 'electricity cost with system' is equal to the 'utility bill with system' number when I compare the two.

Thanks in advance, Brian S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• schmidly
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2016 18:21 #4018 by schmidly
Paul, I think I figured it out: It looks like what you term, 'electricity cost with and without system' is just that: It's just the electricity expenses (kWh's) outstanding after a system is placed or not placed into service. I can tell you're not including the demand charges and fixed charges in that number, because when I increase the system size of the PV system to the point that the 'electricity cost with system' number goes zero and then query for the 'Electricity demand charge with system (fixed)', it shows me a demand charge that still needs to be accounted for on the bill, so clearly demand and fixed charges are not included in the 'electricity cost with and without system' numbers.

Also, it looks like the 'utility bill with and without system' numbers also do not include demand charges - fixed charges yes - bu not demand charges. This is all a little confusing to me, so I apologize in advance for continuing to press for clarification. Just out of curiosity, is there a data query item that includes the all in number for a utility bill, i.e., demand charges, fixed charges, electricity charges with and without a system? If so, where can I find it, or is the only way to get this number is to add the queries together...

Regards, Brian S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman