Modeling a PV power plant with battery storage

• sbesarati
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2015 19:50 #3906 by sbesarati
Greetings,

I would like to model a PV power plant with battery storage. I am interested in the field performance and cost data is not of interest at this stage. The current version of SAM requires an electric load, which is more related to the buildings. I tried the "No Load Data" option, but it didn't work. I really appreciate if you could please let me know if modeling such system is doable with the current version of SAM? If yes, what should I assume for the electric load?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
12 Nov 2015 23:49 #3907 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Modeling a PV power plant with battery storage
Hello,
Please see this discussion for an answer to your question:
sam.nrel.gov/node/69517
Best regards,

Paul.

• ndiorio
16 Nov 2015 15:09 #3908 by ndiorio
Good morning,

In addition to the link that Paul sent, here is some additional information. The battery model is set to allow charging from PV or grid, and to discharge to meet some electric load. What type of analysis are you looking to conduct? Typically for behind-the-meter applications, the battery serves to discharge power to meet the electric load during portions of the day when electricity is more expensive, either from a energy or power standpoint. Without an electric load, a behind-the-meter battery has limited applications. One possible application may be to store PV power and sell to the grid at a more valuable time without ever serving an electric load; however, this is not supported in the current battery model.

Thanks,
Nick

Moderators: Paul Gilman