Battery Storage Without Solar Simulation Support

• Tom.Harris
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2015 23:44 #3862 by Tom.Harris
SAM Team:
It looks like a solar system is required to complete a simulation in SAM. It would be nice if it supported straight Battery Charging from grid systems. Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
26 Oct 2015 16:33 #3863 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Battery Storage Without Solar Simulation Support
Hi Tom,
You are correct that the battery storage model in SAM is only available as part of the detailed photovoltaic model.
However, you can "trick" SAM into modeling a battery-only system using the technique that Nick describes in the Battery Storage webinar  (the video should start at 48:06). The technique involves setting the system losses to 100% and zeroing out all of the costs associated with the PV system on the System Costs page.
Best regards,

Paul.

• Tom.Harris
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2015 14:20 #3864 by Tom.Harris
Replied by Tom.Harris on topic Battery Storage Without Solar Simulation Support
Hi Paul,
Thank you PERFECT!! I suspected there was already a solution to this application of SAM++
Tom

• ndiorio
27 Oct 2015 15:27 #3865 by ndiorio
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback, I agree it would be nice to have a more obvious way to do battery-only analysis. We will explore options for future releases.

Thanks!
Nick

• Jon Aldrich
More
02 Nov 2015 16:21 #3866 by Jon Aldrich
Replied by Jon Aldrich on topic Battery Storage Without Solar Simulation Support
Hi Sam Team,

In the comment above (from ndiorio), you mention that battery-only analysis will be explored in future releases. Is there a timeline for this future release?

Thanks,

Jon

• ndiorio
02 Nov 2015 19:15 #3867 by ndiorio
Hi Jon,

The next major release will likely be in January, though I don't know if the battery-only functionality will be added by that time. For the time being, I'd recommend following the method of zeroing out PV production by making the losses 100%, and then also zeroing out the PV module costs. This is then effectively a battery-only analysis.

Thanks,
Nick

Moderators: Paul Gilman