Battery to Load Power

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2015 21:54 #3659 by Paul Gilman
Battery to Load Power was created by Paul Gilman
I am simulating a PV-battery system with a constant building load of 30 kW/hour. I have also configured the battery dispatch controller to always allow the battery to be charged from PV, and always allow discharging. In the results, I notice that the battery power to the load is sometimes very close to the 30 kW, but is never exactly 30 kW. Instead, I see values like 29.9164 and 29.2632. Why does the battery never completely meet the load?
This is caused by the way SAM calculates the battery voltage and current. The battery voltage changes over the time step as the battery is charged or discharged. For example, for a time step when the battery is discharging to meet the load, at the beginning of the time step, SAM calculates the discharge current from the initial voltage V0. The battery discharges current over the time step so that at the end of the time step, the voltage Vf is lower.
SAM calculates the discharged energy as follows:

You can see those values in the time series data, for example here are a few time steps for an hourly simulation for a constant 30 kW/hour load:

At 4 p.m., you would expect the battery to meet the full 30 kW load, but instead it meets slightly less at 29.7892 kW. Here is how SAM calculates that value. At the beginning of the time step, the required current is:

That's the value in the table under "Battery current" for 4 p.m. SAM assumes that the battery discharges at that rate over the full hour, so that the voltage at the end of the hour (or beginning of the next) is less than at the beginning. The battery energy discharged over the hour is:

Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman