We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

air cooled condenser

• Saeed aziz
  • Topic Author
More
09 Aug 2015 13:26 #3625 by Saeed aziz
air cooled condenser was created by Saeed aziz
for ACC system , and applying equation no. 3.26 on page 72, if we increase ITD temperature, so we can reduce air flow rate and hence we can reduce parasitic load of fan power THEN increase power net output but where ITD temp. is difference between steam and ambient temperature and by increasing ITD,Condenser temperature increases where condenser temperature =dry bulb temperature + ITD so thermodynamic efficieny decreases and power decreases. so please advice for this contrast.

also what is larger, parasitic load of air cooling fan or water cooling fan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
10 Aug 2015 21:31 #3626 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic air cooled condenser
Dear Saeed,

I assume you are asking about power cycle cooling for the physical trough model. SAM reports the cooling parastic power as "Parasitic power condenser operation." You can use that variable to compare parasitic losses for different kinds of cooling.

Please avoid using abbreviations, and tell me what model you are using to help me answer your questions correctly.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Saeed aziz
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2015 10:19 #3627 by Saeed aziz
Replied by Saeed aziz on topic air cooled condenser
Thanks Paul,

I used hpysical model trough of solar field of 510120 m2 with hitec solar salt of storage 7.5 hrs to produce net electric power 200 Mwe , input solar radiation at design is 910, 1017, 690 m2 with once air cooling condenser and the other one is water cooled.

is these inputs are valid?
also net electric power is very little than 200 Mwe?
is these input suitable for 50 Mwe?
what are differences between parasitic load between water cooling and air cooling models?
why total parasitic load of air cooled is higher than of water cooled?
for example: for 50 Mwe plant
total parasitic load of air cooled is 2.51 Mw at June
total parasitic load of water cooled is 1.5 Mw at June

i ask about of

• pgilman
More
11 Aug 2015 16:44 #3628 by pgilman
For a detailed discussion wet and dry cooling and how SAM models it, please see Section 3.3 "Heat Rejection" in the physical trough reference manual ( PDF 3.7 MB ).
Best regards,

Paul.

• Redelinghuys
More
14 Sep 2020 13:53 #8719 by Redelinghuys
Replied by Redelinghuys on topic air cooled condenser
Dear Paul

I hope you are keeping well.

I would like to know whether you could please refer me to the code on github that details the parasitic power consumption (fan power) calculations for the dry-cooling case?

I have had a look, but it seems I'm missing something. 

Best regards
Louw

• pgilman
More
14 Sep 2020 16:03 #8722 by pgilman
Hi Louw,

You can find fan power calculations in the HybridHR() function definition that starts here:

github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/34cb9ca6569e5f54113302210195ca064711df0e/shared/lib_powerblock.cpp#L1500

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman