SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing

• soular
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2015 00:04 #3613 by soular
SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing was created by soular
I have a project file with 11 projects. SAM crashes repeatably when I try to rename the most recently added project. (That is, I can repeat the crash by relaunching, opening the file, and renaming the project -- even after restarting my system, with no other apps except a browser open). I'm running SAM 2015.6.30 on OSX 10.10.4.

I got around it by adding 3 more projects -- saving after each addition, without renaming -- then going back to the 11th project and renaming it. SAM file has not since crashed. I can send the OSX problem report if that's useful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
10 Aug 2015 21:19 #3614 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing
Hello,

That's a lot of cases in one project file! The problem you describe seems likely due to insufficient memory. We will investigate to see if there's something we can do, but I would suggest limiting the number of cases in your file.

Would you mind explaining why you have so many cases in a file?

Best regards,
Paul.

• schmidly
More
14 Aug 2015 21:10 #3615 by schmidly
Replied by schmidly on topic SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing
Hello Paul,

SAM is also crashing my computer as well. I'm running 4 project files in one case, and when I try and run the 3D shade calculator my SAM takes over 100% of my CPU during its diffuse shade calculation and crashes my computer. Here's a screen shot of my computer's specs. This just started happening after upgrading to 2015.6.30 Rev 2 of OS X. Your thoughts?

Thanks, Brian

• schmidly
More
14 Aug 2015 21:13 #3616 by schmidly
Replied by schmidly on topic SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing
I just emailed you a screen shot of my computer's specs. Thanks, Brian

• soular
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2015 15:08 #3617 by soular
Replied by soular on topic SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing
Thanks Paul. The reason I have so many cases in one file is that I'm using SAM to simulate the same system in (now) 21 locations. It was easiest to duplicate a case, then just select a different weather station to create a new case. Also, I wanted to be able to easily change system parameters and be able to check to make sure they were uniform across locations.

BTW, I've tried to update to the Revision 2 - 8/10/15 release (in case the bug was addressed by the update) but the SAM Web Updater that runs when I open SAM keeps crashing after it gets part way through the download. I'll create a separate ticket for this issue.

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Aug 2015 16:22 #3618 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SAM 2015.6.30 Crashing
We have discovered an issue that seems to affect only the OS X version of SAM that is causing the problem renaming the case when there is a large number of cases. We will fix the problem in the next version.

You may want to consider using the parametric simulation option instead of creating several cases. With the parametric simulation option, you can easily create a table showing one or more metric of interest for each location.

Also, if you have not already discovered the inputs browser, you may find that useful for managing the large number of cases. It lists all of the inputs in each case in a table. You can show all inputs, or only inputs that have different values.

Please see the Help system for more on both parametric simulations and the inputs browser.

Thanks for posting a separate question about updating to Revision 2. I have answered that separately.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman