Stochastic Analysis - Input Values

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2015 23:11 #3571 by mhdraper
Stochastic Analysis - Input Values was created by mhdraper
Paul,

When setting up variables for a stochastic analysis I noticed that an input variable for a State-sponsored Production Based Incentive (PBI) expressed as $/kWh is not available.

I want to demonstrate a high correlation between total installed costs and varied cash incentive levels and their impact on the resulting Net Present Value and simple Payback.

I've already used these same variables in a parametric analysis and wanted to compare results with a stochastic analysis.

Please advise.

Mike -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
27 Jul 2015 17:23 #3572 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Stochastic Analysis - Input Values
Hi Mike,

The PBI amount variables are not available as inputs for stochastic simulations because they are arrays of values rather than a single value. Any input variable in the SAM user interface that has a little blue and grey button next to it is one that you can assign either a single value or more than one value. For example, SAM allows you to assign either a single value to the PBI $/kWh amount, or a value to specific years in the analysis period. The algorithm that generates input distributions for the stochastic simulations can only work with single values, so any input that can be entered as an array with multiple values is excluded from the list of available values. Other examples of those inputs are degradation rate, PTC amount, O&M costs, etc. Parametric simulations are more flexible and do not have that limitation.

We are considering making some improvements to the parametric and stochastic simulations, and will keep your comments in mind as we do.

Best regards,
Paul.

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2015 00:34 #3573 by mhdraper
Replied by mhdraper on topic Stochastic Analysis - Input Values
Paul,

Got it. I'll noodle this around.

Thanks,
Mike -

Moderators: Paul Gilman