SAM Inputs Summary vs Project Case (edit)

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2015 00:15 #3566 by mhdraper
Paul,

Thanks for your follow up. I've attached the file mentioned earlier. Errors have been highlighted in red: iTek module data was user entered due to the 275 watt model not being in the CEC database. That has since been changed due to module type now being available. However, the iTek also shows in the Non WA Made column of inputs. There are also inconsistencies with the building height, space between back of model and roof, coefficient of performance and somehow lurking in the background the Sunpower SPR-210-BLK-U module; never specified for this project comparison.

Just not sure what caused this. Will monitor all Browser Input files from this point forward.

Thanks.

Mike -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
27 Jul 2015 16:58 #3567 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SAM Inputs Summary vs Project Case (edit)
Hi Mike,

The module and inverter inputs that do not appear in the inputs browser are inputs that are stored in a library. For example, the module "Material" input shown on the Module input page for the CEC Performance Model with Module Database is stored in the CEC Module library. It is one input in the set of inputs associated with a given module in the library. The inputs browser shows an input variable "module_name" with the label "Module Name." If you click the value of that input in the table ("SolarWorld Protect SW 265 Mono Black" in the Avista - Non WA Made column), SAM will open a library window that shows the value of all of the inputs associated with that module in the library.

As for the rate structure variable, those input variables all start with the letters "ur" and do not all have labels. In the Avista - Non WA Made case, the input variables for Period 1 Tier 1 energy charge are "ur_ec_pt_t1_br" (buy rate), "ur_ec_pt_t1_sr" (sell rate), "ur_ec_p1_t1_up" (maximum kWh).

I agree that the automatic graphing of parametric results in the older versions of SAM is a useful feature. I will work with the development team to see if we can implement something similar in a future version.

Can you explain your last comment about electric load data more? The new versions of SAM have a macro that you can use to download electric load data from an online database.

Best regards,
Paul.

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2015 00:25 #3568 by mhdraper
Replied by mhdraper on topic SAM Inputs Summary vs Project Case (edit)
Paul,

Thanks for your follow up. My confusion stems from printing the inputs browser data for the case files and seeing a completely different module selection and other inconsistencies when compared to my original inputs. I see what you're referencing when clicking on inputs and then viewing the data libraries, very slick!

I've downloaded the inputs browser values to a CSV file and then edited in MAC OS X Pages. If you send me an email address, I can convert to a PDF and attach to an email. Perhaps this will shed more light on where I'm coming from.

Thanks for considering my suggestion to include an editing option of parametric analysis results.

All set with the electric load issue. Totally spaced on the macros option. All good now.

Thanks again,
Mike

• Paul Gilman
More
05 Aug 2015 18:11 #3569 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mike,
You can email me at [url=mailto:sam.support@nrel.gov?subject=Inputs%20Browser%20Exported%20Data t=_self]this address[/url], or you can edit your original post above and attach the file there. 
Thanks,

Paul.

• Paul Gilman
More
05 Aug 2015 22:40 #3570 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mike,

The inputs browser displays all of the inputs in each case in the project file, whether or not they apply to your analysis.

When you choose a module model on the Module page input page (CEC with database parameters, CEC with user parameters, Sandia, etc.), SAM only shows you the input variables on the input page for the models you are using. However, behind the scenes, SAM stores values for all of the input variables for all of the models, regardless of whether you are using them.

The variables in the input browser with names that start with '6par' are inputs to the CEC module model with user parameters. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see a group of variables with names that start with 'cec' -- those are inputs for the CEC model with database parameters (or at least most of them -- the 'module_name' variable stores the choice from the CEC library). Further down, you'll also see input variables that begin with 'snl' for the Sandia module model and with 'spe' for the simple efficiency models even though you aren't using those models. That's why, in the PDF you attached, you can see inputs for the battery model, building load calculator, and a bunch of other stuff that you are not using in your model.

Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to tell just by looking at the variables in the inputs browser which are the ones that are active in the cases in your file.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman