Handling of "Solar tank maximum water temperature"

• iskias
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2015 09:52 #3510 by iskias
Hi,
in the help file there is no explanation of how the "Solar tank maximum water temperature" is taken into account in the model.

Particularly, how does the model handle the case when the hot temperature (Thot) in the solar tank reaches or exceeds the maximum set temp? Does it simulate the opening of the Pressure-Temperature Relief Valve on the top of the tank?

Thanks,
Ioannis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ndiorio
10 Jul 2015 20:33 #3511 by ndiorio
Hi Ioannis,

Since I can't add attachments to replies, I edited your post to upload the attachments. I have attached:

- Model presentation: A conference presentation outlining the model and validation
- Draft technical manual: A detailed technical manual illustrating the derivation of the model. Note, this manual is a bit out of date and hasn't been published yet.

The model handles the tank temperature by checking to see if it has exceeded the maximum set temp, and sets it to the maximum set temperature if it has exceeded it. This simple mechanism simulates opening a relief valve as you say, though any additional complexities aren't captured. Note, this only occurs for the computed bulk tank temperature, not the hot or cold node temperatures. So locally, the temperature appears to be able to exceed the max set temperature.
Does that answer your question?

Thanks,
Nick

• iskias
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2015 21:54 #3512 by iskias
Hi Nick,
thank you for the clarification. Hard setting it to max temp, it indeed simulates the opening of a relief valve.

Regards,
Ioannis

Moderators: Paul Gilman