Loss diagram (Sankey diagram) for PV systems

• spelland74
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2015 23:57 #3383 by spelland74
Hello,

I have been using both PVsyst and SAM to model photovoltaic systems. I'm looking at the Sankey loss diagram that is generated by both models. I was wondering whether there's a way to get more granularity in the module losses from SAM? For instance, PVsyst includes as separate categories thermal losses, incidence angle-related losses, efficiency variation with irradiance level and light-induced degradation, and this is helpful in optimizing performance. Other categories apart from module losses seem to agree fairly well.

Best regards,
Sophie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
04 Jun 2015 16:39 #3384 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Loss diagram (Sankey diagram) for PV systems
Dear Sophie,

Those losses are included in the "module loss" category. It is tricky to isolate the contribution of the module's thermal performance and the module cover's optical performance to that loss value, so we've chosen not to try to represent those values with estimates. In the future, we hope to improve the model to make it possible to accurately report those loss values.

Also, SAM allows you to choose from several different module performance models that use different algorithms. In order to make the Sankey diagram consistent for all of those model options, we decided to display only those losses that are calculated by all of the models.

Best regards,
Paul.

• taranraj123
More
09 Mar 2016 23:12 #3385 by taranraj123
Replied by taranraj123 on topic Loss diagram (Sankey diagram) for PV systems
Hi Paul. Could you clarify which losses are a part of the module loss category? Specifically, is the self shading derate in this loss category?

Moderators: Paul Gilman