How to enter image scale in meters per 100 pixels from Google Earth Pro image

• schmidly
  • Topic Author
More
15 May 2015 16:26 #3339 by schmidly
Good afternoon, Paul. Can you tell me what is the best, most efficient way to calculate the image scale in meters per 100 pixels from an image/scene I've saved from Google Earth Pro. Thanks in advance, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
18 May 2015 17:06 #3340 by Paul Gilman
Dear Brian,
I assume you want this measurement for a Google Earth image to use as an underlay for the photovoltaic 3D shade calculator. As you know, by default SAM can automatically load Bing map images from the coordinates you enter. If you want to use map images from a different source, you can import them, but then you have to also tell SAM what the image scale is in meters per 100 pixels.
The technique I would use is to take an image of the map scale in meters from Google Earth, and then open it in an image editor and count the number of pixels per meters. (Someone with more experience with electronic maps might have a more elegant way to do that.)
For example, here's an image of the scale from a Google Earth map. I used a bitmap editor to create a red rectangle 100 pixels long, and then estimated its length in meters to be about 12.75, so the scale would be 12.75 meters per 100 pixels.
/sites/default/files/content/user-support/google-earth-scale.bmp
Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman