Issues with NSRDB Files

• kalimazoop
  • Topic Author
More
28 Apr 2015 21:08 #3287 by kalimazoop
Issues with NSRDB Files was created by kalimazoop
Is anyone else experiencing problems with recently downloaded NSRDB TMY files in SAM? I noticed the file names now have TYA included in them. SAM cannot pull the data from file. The Weather File checker Macro indicates that there is no detected problem with the file. When I execute the Weather File converter Macro it cannot process the file. SAM indicates 1.#QNAN in all the data fields.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am pulling the files from the following link.
rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1991-2005/tmy3/by_state_and_city.html#C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
29 Apr 2015 16:52 #3288 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Issues with NSRDB Files
Hello,
There appears to something about the formatting of the revised TMY3 files (with "TYA" in the file name) that causes SAM to be unable to read them. (My initial investigation suggests that the problem might be caused by the number of columns in those files being different than in the original TMY3 files, and that the revised files appear to use Windows line endings instead of Unix line endings.)
SAM can read the original TMY3 files (with "TY" in the file name). Also, the complete TMY3 dataset is included with SAM as part of the solar resource library, so you don't really need to download TMY3 files from the NSRDB -- you can just choose the file from the list on the Location and Resource page.
If you want to download TMY3 files from the NSRDB site to use with SAM anyway, use the link under "Previous TMY3 Files (2008/08/20)" to download files from the original TMY3 dataset. I am working with the NSRDB team to resolve this issue.
The Notice dated January 19, 2015 on the NSRDB 1991-2005 Update page explains that the difference between the revised and original TMY3 dataset is mostly for data that SAM does not use (visibility, ceiling height, etc.) The only exception is any revisions to albedo values, which may have a small effect on photovoltaic simulations in SAM.
Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman