Shading derate factor values

• nino
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2015 21:55 #3174 by nino
Replied by nino on topic Shading derate factor values
Once again, thank you Paul.
Is there some approximate method which you would recommend for PVWatts v1 for calculating shading derate factor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Mar 2015 16:35 #3175 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Shading derate factor values
You could use the graph in this online documentation for PVWatts V1:
rredc.nrel.gov/solar/calculators/pvwatts/version1/change.html
Best regards,

Paul.

• nino
  • Topic Author
More
19 Mar 2015 22:37 #3176 by nino
Replied by nino on topic Shading derate factor values
Thank you Paul.

I am actually looking for a way do calculate the PVWatts v1 shading derate factor for shading from buildings and objects. Sorry for not stating this from the very beginning of the topic.
The graph in the mentioned PVWatts v1 online documentation deals with shading from one PV row to another.

Mentioned online documentation says that I need to use tools such as Solar Pathfinder. Isn't there some way of using a regular irradiance applications to determine this derate factor (in PVWatts v1) instead? You already told me that I can't calculate the shading derate factor by calculating annual reduction in incident beam irradiance.
But can't this annual reduction in incident beam irradiance somehow be connected with the reduction of the array's electrical output?

Thank you once again, and I appreciate your patience and effort.
NREL online community truly has an amazing support because of you.

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Mar 2015 16:34 #3177 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Shading derate factor values
I think you'll have to use your judgement to determine the relationship between the reduction in incident beam irradiance to the array's electrical output.
You may want to read the reference cited in the PVWatts V5 reference manual with the passage you originally quoted in your first message. That report describes an NREL study that shows the reduction in output for different shade conditions: 
Deline, C.; Meydbray, J.; Donovan, M.; Forrest, J.; Photovoltaic Shading Testbed for Module-level Power Electronics. NREL Technical Report NREL/TP-5200-54876, May 2012. ( PDF 1.2 MB )
Best regards,

Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman