Entering Monthly Electric Load

• tjguzin
  • Topic Author
More
17 Feb 2015 22:37 #3094 by tjguzin
Entering Monthly Electric Load was created by tjguzin
I'm trying to enter a monthly electric load for a campus building of an college into SAM to accurately energy savings, but since I've entered the building type as commercial I cannot use the "calculate load data" function. I have only monthly data. I tried to get around this problem by using the "download electric load" macro but the type of building I'm using doesn't appear on the list of options. Basically it's a 63 thousand square foot building that holds classrooms/ lecture halls and a workout facility.

Should I choose a similar building type from the macro's list? Perhaps medium or large office. Or should I simply change the building type of residential? Will this effect any important financial data?

Thanks for the help!
I really do like this product!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
18 Feb 2015 19:07 #3095 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Entering Monthly Electric Load
Hello,
I think either of those approaches could work.
For a description of the commercial building types in the Download Electric Load macro, follow the link in the macro's instructions, or see DOE Commercial Reference Buildings .
If you use the macro with a commercial case, after downloading and applying the hourly data, you can scale the hourly data to monthy bill data on the Electric Load page by checking the Normalize supplied load profile to monthly utility bill data and entering a set of 12 monthly consumption (kWh) values.
The residential and commercial financial models are similar. Here are the differences:

• The commercial model can calculate a tax deduction for depreciation. The residential model does not include depreciation.

• Operating costs are tax deductible for the commercial model, but not for the residential model.

• Project debt interest payments are tax deductible for the commercial model, and for the residnential model when you choose the mortgage option on the Financial Parameters page.
You could also generate an hourly load profile from a residential case in SAM, export it to a text file from the data viewer, and then import it into a commercial case. To export the data, you would click View load data on the Electric Load page, and then right click the graph to export the data.
As always, be sure to check all of your inputs to make sure they are appropriate for your analysis.
Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman