Modules - User Input Data - Temperature Coefficient - Simulation Fails

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2015 23:45 #3048 by mhdraper
Paul,

I was under the impression that the problem with user input values for module temperature coefficients expressed in %/C had been fixed with this latest update to the software.

Error files attached.

I've reviewed input values and everything seems to be in order. Note simulations of modules from CEC database work just fine.

Please advise.

Mike -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
09 Feb 2015 21:30 #3049 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mike,

I tested this with parameters from the itek Energy HE series module datasheet using the %/C units, and that seemed to work fine. Would you mind emailing me a copy of your SAM file for troubleshooting at sam dot support at nrel dot gov?

Thanks,
Paul.

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2015 03:09 #3050 by mhdraper
Paul,

As per your instructions I emailed you the project file. Note, I changed out the User Input values for the iTek Energy 275 watt module in favor of an alternative from the same manufacturer but listed in the CEC database. The simulation using data for this replacement module worked successfully.

Mike -

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Feb 2015 18:10 #3051 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mike,
It looks to me like the temperature coefficients in the file you sent me do not match those in the module data sheet. I tried it with the data sheet values and that seemed to work.
Are you seeing something different?

Best regards,

Paul.

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2015 22:20 #3052 by mhdraper
Paul,

First off, thanks for taking a look at this.

Note, the temperature coefficients listed under SAM Electrical Specifications in your screen capture reappeared after each simulation failure; even after I edited them to the correct Temperature Ratings listed on the manufacturer's cut sheet. As mentioned in my previous reply, I changed the module type to make sure SAM could successfully simulate my design and that worked.

However, I just called up the CEC User Input option under models and low and behold there's the iTek Energy HE 275 Watt Solar Module with the correct temperature coefficients. So, SAM saved my input data for that specific product. Yet, when this module's data is selected the subsequent simulation fails.

I'll try converting the temperature coefficients to degree/C and see if this works. I recall that the when using the November '14 release, those inputs resulted in a successful simulation.

Thanks,

Mike -

• mhdraper
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2015 00:02 #3053 by mhdraper
Paul,

As a follow up to my previous comment, I deleted all previous versions of SAM from my laptop and reinstalled Version 2015.1.30 for OS X. Opened working project file, edited modules using CEC ... User Entered Specifications. IV Curve calculated and plotted properly and simulation was successful.

Consider this issue SOLVED.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mike -

Moderators: Paul Gilman