Can I see and modify the mathematical code of a module in SDK?

• joaovitornavarro
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2016 22:41 #4761 by joaovitornavarro
Hello.

I want to know if is possible to see and to modify the mathematical code of a module in SDK, instead of only run it. As an example, I want to know if the module of PV systems makes estimations on the panel operation temperature based on meteorological inputs and, most of all, which mathematical formulation is used to do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Sep 2016 15:39 #4762 by Paul Gilman
Hello,

It is not possible to use the SDK to view or modify the equations in an SSC module. You can set the value of a module's inputs, run the module, and read values of the module's outputs.

For information about the equations and algorithms in a particular module, see the references on the Performance Model Documentation page of this website.

Best regards,
Paul.

• joaovitornavarro
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2016 19:31 #4763 by joaovitornavarro
There is no way to modify the equations in an SSC module?

What I want to do is review one mathematical formulation used for modeling a PV system. Not all of them. I want to modify this one equation and run the simulation.

Can I do that using SAM?

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Sep 2016 20:25 #4764 by Paul Gilman
No, you cannot modify the equations in an SSC module.

Can you tell me more specifically what calculations you would like to modify?

Best regards,
Paul.

• joaovitornavarro
  • Topic Author
More
15 Sep 2016 20:34 #4765 by joaovitornavarro
Its known that the efficiency of a PV panel is function of its operation temperature. The value may be measured in site or estimated from meteorological data. I want to know the thermal model used in SAM to make the estimation and the performance model that makes adjustments on the outcome of the panel based on its operation temperature. I also want to modify the thermal model to test different mathematical formulations that are available in the literature and see the effect on the overall outcome of the system.

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Sep 2016 16:19 #4766 by Paul Gilman
For a description of the algorithms SAM uses to model photovoltaic cell temperatures, please see Sections 9.7 and 9.8 of the photovoltaic reference manual available on the Performance Model Documentation page:

sam.nrel.gov/performance

As for modifying equations, we are working on some enhancements to the SDK that will make it possible to make some changes to the underlying code, and will consider your request as we proceed with that work.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman