Failed in simulation of Trough(phys) model with new HTF

• joey.hu
  • Topic Author
More
18 Apr 2022 05:54 #10842 by joey.hu
Hi Paul,

Recently i try to simuate a case with new HTF, it falied.

i attached all the files for your reference, can you check it?

Kind regards
Joey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
21 Apr 2022 17:24 #10854 by Paul Gilman
Hi Joey,

We just released a Beta version of SAM that should fix this and several other issues.

For download links and more information about the Beta, see:

sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3847

Please let me know if this solves the problem.

Best regards,
Paul.

• joey.hu
  • Topic Author
More
24 Apr 2022 03:01 - 26 Apr 2022 00:05 #10869 by joey.hu
Hi Paul,

I installed the beta version of SAM, and tried several times, it crashed in most of times, while others only with results of "NaN" or incomprehensible results as below, 

also i attached the SAM file which is simulated with the same meteo data and property table to my last post for your reference. 

kind regards
Joey

Last edit: 26 Apr 2022 00:05 by Paul Gilman.

• Paul Gilman
More
05 May 2022 16:00 - 05 May 2022 16:01 #10928 by Paul Gilman
Hi Joey,

We fixed another bug with the Physical Trough Model involving the Single Loop Configuration inputs on the Solar Field page. When you changed the number of assemblies per loop from the default 8 to 4, SAM did not correctly update the loop configuration variables.

We released a new Beta version SAM 2022.5.5 that should fix this problem.

To test this new Beta version:

1. Download and install SAM 2022.5.5 Beta from sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3847 . (I updated the download links for the most recent Beta version.)
  2. Open the original Sample.sam file you sent us. (This new Beta version will not open your newer Test.sam file that you created with the last Beta version.)
  3. Go to the Solar Field page and then switch to a different input page to make sure SAM updates the loop configuration inputs.
  4. Run a simulation.
Please let us know if you notice any other problems.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 05 May 2022 16:01 by Paul Gilman.

• joey.hu
  • Topic Author
More
28 May 2022 08:48 #11010 by joey.hu
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your effort.

I have done some simulations with three kinds of HTF(5A, XLP, BP/DPO) between beta version and 2020.11.29.

case 1: HTF=BP/DPO, i found data of "receiver thermal power incident" in beta version is larger than cresponding ones in version 2020.11.29, you can see from the attached table(feedback_SAM) which are in row  66,1627,1650 and so on;

case 2: HTF= 5A and XLP, i found data of "field thermal power incident " in row 3013,3684,7118 are different between two simulations, while they have the same collector, HCEs, aperture area.

above simuations are based on the same meteo data in my last post, also i attached simulation file for your reference.

can you please check that?

kind regards
Joey 

• Paul Gilman
More
02 Jun 2022 16:53 #11049 by Paul Gilman
Hi Joey,

This difference is due to changes we made to TES sizing for indirect TES in SAM 2021.12.02:

In earlier versions of SAM, we used the receiver HTF hot-to-cold temperature difference to size TES. In SAM 2021.12.02, we size the TES using a temperature difference = (T_rec_hot – HX_delta_T) – (T_pc_cold + HX_delta_T). This reduces the design temperature difference by 2*HX_delta_T compared to the old version. This increases the physical size of TES for a given system design. This means that modeling a system in SAM 2021.12.02 that was designed in an older version of SAM will result in a larger TES.

The differences in field incident power are caused by differences in solar field defocusing: In SAM 2020.11.29, the TES is smaller, so collectors in the field were forced to defocus. In SAM 2021.12.02, the larger TES allowed the field to continue delivering power without defocusing the collectors.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman