How to prioritize whether PV power goes to load or battery

• Ayesha
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2021 10:41 #9764 by Ayesha
Good day

I am running a model involving a PV and battery system. Currently the simulation prioritises sending PV power to load rather than charging the battery. Is there a way to prioritize sending PV power to the battery (until the battery is fully charged) before sending it to the load? With the grid being used to supply the load during that time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
02 Jul 2021 15:12 #9767 by Paul Gilman
Hi Ayesha,

The behind-the-meter dispatch options use PV power to meet the load before charging the battery to minimize electrical losses associated with charging and discharging the battery.

Can you tell me more about how you would like the battery dispatch to work?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Ayesha
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2021 05:56 #9776 by Ayesha
Hi Paul

Thanks for the quick response. Because the price of PV is much lower than power from the grid at certain times where we are, we would like to store the cheaper energy to use during the peak tariff periods and lower the price of energy. I found that in the 2017 version under the battery dispatch you have the options to:
  • charge battery before meeting load, orĀ 
  • meet load before charging battery
Does the 2020 version have this sort of functionality?

Regards
Ayesha

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Jul 2021 23:28 #9784 by Paul Gilman
Hi Ayesha,

That option is not available in the current version of SAM (SAM 2020.11.29). I'm looking into why we removed it, I think it was not working properly. I will follow up when I learn more.

Thanks,
Paul.

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Jul 2021 15:34 #9834 by Paul Gilman
Hi again,

We will consider restoring the "PV priority" battery dispatch option in a future version of SAM. See this GitHub issue to track progress on this feature request:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/658

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman