3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation

• nadavG7
  • Topic Author
More
19 May 2021 12:36 #9604 by nadavG7
3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation was created by nadavG7
Hello,

I need to calculate shade losses for an urban rooftop PV system. I have a 3D model of the entire area in DWG and DXF format.
What is the best way to use those files in SAM?
Can I convert them into .s3d format? Should I pull the shading data using another program (which program?), and then import the data into SAM? 

Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
19 May 2021 22:36 - 19 May 2021 22:37 #9605 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic 3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation
Hi Nadav,

SAM does not have a function to import data into the 3D shade scene. The 3D Shade Calculator does have a scripting capability using SAM's LK Script language, so you could write your own script to do the conversion. Here is a link to some 3D Shade Calculator sample LK scripts: github.com/NREL/SAM/tree/develop/samples/3D%20Shade%20LK%20Scripts.

See this related discussion: sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/1209

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 19 May 2021 22:37 by pgilman.

• nadavG7
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2021 05:06 #9611 by nadavG7
Replied by nadavG7 on topic 3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your quick response.
I see this has been an issue since 2015. Is there any word on the developers working to integrate SAM with other file formats?
As others have mentioned, most poeple use 3D models in CAD or other popular formats. To properly use SAMs 3D modeling, one would have to know the exact dimensions of every building in the vicinity (this makes it extra difficult for planning PV systems in dense urban environments). This is also not a good use of time, especially when you already have a detailed model ready.
I love SAM. This is an amazing tool for planners. And you are obviously working continually to make it better. I feel like this integration would make it so much easier and accurate, as shading can lead to massive losses.

Please relay this to the development team, and may you have a great day!

Best regards,
Nadav

• pgilman
More
24 May 2021 15:22 #9624 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic 3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation
Thank you for the feedback, Nadav. This is on our wish list:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/208

Thanks,
Paul.

• jcipcic@sunrisenrg.com
More
03 Mar 2022 15:43 #10652 by jcipcic@sunrisenrg.com
Replied by jcipcic@sunrisenrg.com on topic 3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation
Hello, I have read the thread and am very surprised that this has been an ongoing problem since 2015 with no resolution.

Our projects are largely on open land that is far from flat, surrounded by various tree heights.

Being we are such a large growing industry at this point, I would think SAM would be all over this one.  Shading is the number one largest factor for energy losses!!!!!

Hope the import function allows for civil 3d designs to be imported with heavy terrain files, and trees and shading obstructions can be added by SAM software to complete an accurate loss analysis.

Regards,

Joel Cipcic

• kgadarkVRA
More
23 Feb 2023 09:53 #11953 by kgadarkVRA
Replied by kgadarkVRA on topic 3D Shade Modeling for PV Simulation
Can I use scripting to create a layout of arrays for a utility scale solar PV plant. I created two rows and three columns of solar PV arrays and I have to change the tilt and position of all the modules. That is a lot of unproductive work. Is there a way to script the layout?
 SAM should create a layout design interface similar to PVSyst where you specify row spacing, tilt angle, pick the module chosen in the module Tab in SAM and area to be filled and then SAM fills the area automatically. The trees and houses are not numerous compared to arrays so that can remain as it is in the 3D Shade Calculator.

Moderators: pgilman