We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Error from parametric simulations with large number of runs

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2020 21:27 - 04 Sep 2020 21:36 #8679 by pgilman
Hi Henrique,

I tested the parametric simulations and did not encounter the error. I used fewer weather files than the 411 in your file. You might try one of the following:

1. Break the parametric simulations into smaller groups of files, maybe up to 100 at a time.

2. Use LK script to run the simulations. This gives you more flexibility because you can set values of inputs, read outputs, and write data to files. There are a couple of sample scripts on GitHub at NREL/SAM/tree/develop/samples/LK Scripts for SAM that you can try (see the download instructions at the bottom of the page: Download the solar-resource-simulate-multiple-files.lk and hourly-data-from-multiple-weather-files.lk files, and then in SAM click File, Open script to see and run the scripts.

Best regards,
Paul
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 21:36 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hcollatto
More
04 Sep 2020 22:48 #8682 by hcollatto
First of all, thanks for responding... I will try your second option, but until then:
I did try breaking into smaller groups and it did work! But, 411 is not yet the entire number of inputs (I might need 10 times more)... So I was hoping there was a solution for this. So, I tried to use the earlier version 2018.11.11 and it did the math just fine with the 411 inputs, but break down the same way when I tried with 2055... It seems to be a problem of memory, indeed. Could you try with 2055 too, even in the 2020 version?
Thanks again for the attention.

• pgilman
  • Topic Author
More
08 Sep 2020 16:01 #8695 by pgilman
Hi Henrique,

As of SAM 2020.2.29, SAM's photovoltaic models run in "lifetime" mode, which means that they run a simulation for each time step over the entire analysis period instead of a single year, so the simulations involve many more calculations in SAM 2020.2.29 than for the same system in SAM 2018.11.11.

We designed the parametric simulation feature to run a few simulations for quick parametric or optimization runs. For larger sets of runs, I would recommend using LK script: sam.nrel.gov/lk-script.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman