Battery augmentation strategy

• luanab
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2020 16:03 #8471 by luanab
Battery augmentation strategy was created by luanab
Dear
I would like to know if it is possible to do a battery augmentation capacity strategy instead of replacing the entire battery in SAM. For example adding more battery capacity in some specific years.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
22 Jul 2020 17:55 #8472 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Battery augmentation strategy
Hi Luana,

For now, it is not possible to change the system design over time, so no, it is not possible to add battery capacity when the battery is replaced.

Can you describe more about the scenario you would like to model?

Best regards,
Paul.

• luanab
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2020 09:02 #8479 by luanab
Replied by luanab on topic Battery augmentation strategy
Hello, thank you for the answer.

Actually I was trying to replicate a case in SAM of this paper:  www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306261919321531

In the case of the paper, they talk about augmentation capacity and not about replacement. As I was trying to replicate the case, I looked for this option in SAM. Or when they do the "battery augmentation", is it a specific case of replacement in SAM?

Thank you

Regards

Luana

• pgilman
More
23 Jul 2020 18:28 #8481 by pgilman
Hi Luana,

Thank you for the explanation. The authors in that paper use the term "augmentation" to mean that rather than replacing the entire battery bank when its capacity degrades below a certain storage capacity, the system owner would add batteries to the bank.

To model that kind scenario in SAM 2020.2.29, choose the Replace at specified schedule option under "Battery Replacements" on the Battery Storage page. For Battery bank replacement schedule, click Edit array and enter a 1 in the row for each year you would like the battery to be replaced (Row 1 is for Year 1). Then, for Battery bank replacement percent, enter the percentage of the battery's original installed capacity required to achieve the desired "augmented" capacity in each of those years.

Be sure to also define the battery replacement cost on the System Costs page under "Operation and Maintenance Costs."

Best regards,
Paul.

• JawwadAga
More
13 Oct 2022 10:33 - 13 Oct 2022 21:11 #11572 by JawwadAga
Replied by JawwadAga on topic Battery augmentation strategy
Hi Paul

I'm trying to use augmentation battery stateful in PySAM 3.0.2;

It shows that it has taken the values as you can see in the trailing mail, but I'm Stateful does not simulate

Last edit: 13 Oct 2022 21:11 by pgilman.

• pgilman
More
13 Oct 2022 21:19 #11574 by pgilman
Hi Jawwad Aga,

Please attach a sample Python script (and any supporting files) that demonstrates the results you are seeing if you would like me to help troubleshoot.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman