Problems downloading Wind Resource files by lat/long

• Norman Farquhar
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2019 21:08 #6884 by Norman Farquhar
Hello,

I'm trying to download wind resource files for various locations in Iowa but have encountered several errors. Nearly every attempt results in an error:

"Failed to read downloaded weather file C:\Users\pathname.... Try the download again in case there was a problem connecting to the database."

I found that I could successfully download weather files for some lat/long combinations, but only at the 100 m. height. However, when I tried to run the simulation using these files, I receive the error:

exec fail(windpower): the closest wind speed measurement height (10 m) found is more than 35 m from the hub height specified (80 m)
Simulation windpower failed.

I opened the .srw files with a text editor, and indeed, the height was set at 10 m, despite selecting 100 m in the download window. The only workaround I have thought of so far is to manually change these 10 m values to 100 m, but this obviously results in very poor, inaccurate results for a large wind turbine. I've spent hours looking for the .srw files elsewhere on the NREL website, but have either encountered 404 errors, or have found metadata sets that don't provide the information I need. Even a csv file with hourly wind data at 100 m would be fine; I can model the turbine on my own if necessary, but just can't find the weather data anywhere...

It seems like there are some significant bugs in the weather file database right now. I'd appreciate any help or tips. Thanks.

Norm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Jun 2019 20:35 #7444 by Paul Gilman
Hi Norm,

The WIND Toolkit API is a little touchy, so sometimes it takes a few tries in SAM to successfully download a file.

I also see that the measurement height in the downloaded file is 10 meters, even when I request it at 100 m. I will check in with the WIND Toolkit team and try to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Paul.

• Yanda Jiang
More
19 Jul 2019 22:31 #7561 by Yanda Jiang
Hi Paul,

Nice to see you again, although in an new place. I encountered this issue as well. Is there any update for this problem? Since I also need 100 m wind speed data. And besides, is there anywhere I can get latest weather data, such as 2017 wind speed? Many thx in advance.

Best,
Yanda

• Paul Gilman
More
22 Jul 2019 14:48 #7564 by Paul Gilman
Hi Yanda,

The WIND Toolkit data is available for years between 2007 and 2013. I do not have any new information about the data download issues. I will post any updates here as soon as I get them.

Thanks,
Paul.

• Yanda Jiang
More
22 Jul 2019 14:59 #7565 by Yanda Jiang
Thx, Paul. I have figured out how to handle this issue.

• Paul Gilman
More
22 Jul 2019 15:05 #7566 by Paul Gilman
Hi Yanda,

That's great! Can you share with us how you resolved the issue?

Thanks,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman