We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Can I modify a cell temperature model equation

• bpm77
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2019 00:37 #6587 by bpm77
Hello Paul,

I'm trying to use SAM to model a floating PV system and I wanted to change the equation SAM uses to calculate cell temperature. The equation found in the literature is rather simple and considers ambient temperature, irradiance and wind speed something between the lines of tcell = a*ambient temperature + b*irradiance + c*wind speed.

Is there a way to modify the way it is calculated to a user input equation?

Thanks for the support,

Bruno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
05 Jan 2019 03:10 #6588 by pgilman
Dear Bruno,

It is not possible to modify the equation SAM's photovoltaic models calculate cell temperature. The different module models offer different cell temperature calculation options.

We are making some changes to the structure of the photovoltaic models that may make it possible to define a custom equation in the future, so I've added your request to a related one on the SAM GitHub Issues list:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/106

Best regards,
Paul.

• adteves
More
11 May 2021 09:52 #9583 by adteves
May I know an update on this concern? Thank you!

• pgilman
More
11 May 2021 15:01 #9584 by pgilman
Hi Adriane,

We are not actively working on this issue at the moment.

SAM is an open source software project, so it would be possible to build your own version of SAM and modify the cell temperature calculations. You can find build instructions on the SAM GitHub repository's wiki: github.com/NREL/SAM/wiki.

Best regards,
Paul.

• adteves
More
24 May 2021 11:05 #9619 by adteves
Thank you for the quick response!

• fcprinsloo
More
14 Aug 2021 05:34 #9933 by fcprinsloo
Replied by fcprinsloo on topic Can I modify a cell temperature model equation
It may be possible to simulate Floating Solar PV in SAM if cell temperatures could be modified or offset in SAM.

Procedures for modifying some of the parameters for floating solar in PVlib or PVsyst are described herein:

Sustainability Assessment Framework and Methodology with Trans-disciplinary Numerical Simulation Model for Analytical Floatovoltaic Energy System Planning Assessments

www.researchgate.net/publication/353718769_Sustainability_Assessment_Framework_and_Methodology_with_Trans-disciplinary_Numerical_Simulation_Model_for_Analytical_Floatovoltaic_Energy_System_Planning_Assessments

Moderators: pgilman