We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Collector tilt and azimuth

• sebastian
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2012 12:44 #671 by sebastian
Collector tilt and azimuth was created by sebastian
Hi,

Could anybody tell me what values are the correct for the collector tilt and azimuth in an concentrating solar thermal plant CSP Though in Spain?

Or is there any website in which I could get this information?

Thank you very much!

Best regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
05 Jul 2012 21:29 #672 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Collector tilt and azimuth
The SolarPaces and NREL Troughnet websites are both good starting points for researching information about CSP systems.

In general, you can use the default tilt and azimuth values of zero for the CSP models unless you have a reason to change them. Those values represent a system with horizontal collectors oriented N-S so that they rotate from east in the morning to west in the evening.

Best regards,
Paul.

• sebastian
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2012 11:49 #673 by sebastian
Replied by sebastian on topic Collector tilt and azimuth
Hi Paul,

I still have a doubt remaining. Does it affect the value of tilt and azimuth if my collectors are orientated E-W instead of N-S??

In that case, what would be the values of tilt and azimuth for E-W orientation??

Thanks a lot Paul,

Best Regards.

• pgilman
More
09 Jul 2012 19:08 #674 by pgilman
For the parabolic trough models, you can use the tilt and azimuth variables to specify a field with collectors that are oriented E-W. After running simulations, you can plot graphs of the solar angles and collector incidence angle to see the effects of different collector orientations: On the results page, click Base Case Time Series and choose the type of graph and variables to plot.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Franilena
More
05 May 2015 09:36 #675 by Franilena
Replied by Franilena on topic Collector tilt and azimuth
Hi Paul,

I understand that for a solar field oriented N-S the tilt and the azimuth angle must be equal to zero, but as Sebastian asked, for a solar field oriented E-W what should be the correct angles?

Best regards,
Franilena

• pgilman
More
05 May 2015 17:36 #676 by pgilman
Dear Franilena,

For the parabolic trough models, a collector azimuth angle value of zero (on the Solar Field page) is for a N-S field. To rotate the field by 90 degrees, you would change the azimuth angle to either 90 degrees or -90 degrees. If you use a tilt angle of zero, it should not matter which way you rotate the field. If the tilt angle is not zero, then for an azimuth angle of zero, the lower end of each collector is nearest the equator, and for 90 degrees, the lower end is nearest the western horizon.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman